For dinner tonight I made my first Shepherd’s Pie. It came out pretty good! The family loved it and the kids had seconds. I served with biscuits made from my homemade Bisquik (see previous post) and salad. The recipe:
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 2 medium carrots, sliced or diced
- 1/2 c frozen garden peas
- 4 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 1 cup beef stock
- salt and pepper to taste
- 4 large potatoes, peeled and diced small
- 1/2 stick butter
- 1/2 cup grated sharp Cheddar cheese
1. Preheat the oven to 350
2. Heat the oil in pan, add onions, garlic and beef; cook stirring, until meat is browned.
3. Add carrots, peas, paste, parsley, stock, salt and pepper; simmer covered for about 20 minutes or until the carrots are tender.
4. While this is cooking, boil the potatoes and mash with butter and cheese.
5. Spoon meat mixture into an oven-proof 9×13 dish. Top with potato-cheese mash.
6. Bake the cottage pie uncovered, for 30 minutes, or until cooked through and golden brown on top.
I meant to take photo of it when it was in the pan, but once again I forgot. You’ll have to settle for a blurry pic of my second helping.
You could use any ground meat, like pork or lamb. Even the veges can be varied. This would be easy to make using any frozen veges and is ideal for freezing.